Committed to providing K-12 teachers with a practical pedagogy of questioning.
We offer 1/2 day (3 hour) and full -day onsite workshops. We conduct train-the-trainer workshops in a 1.5 day format. We also offer a Skype-delivered two hour overview workshop. Consulting via classroom observation and feedback is also offered.
• To introduce the history of APOQ.
• To define the four specific advantages of questioning in instruction.
• To explain when and how often teachers may plan APOQ instructional segments with students..
• To explain the concept of the mediated learning experience. (MLE).
• To familiarize teachers with seven principles and practices for overcoming a culture of disengagement.
• To describe why planning or pre-meditation of questioning is critical for better questioning.
• To show teachers how to plan questions according to a strong "cognitive scaffold."
• To suggest strategies for overcoming cognitive roadblocks or potholes along the cognitive scaffold
• To explain the basis of the cognitive scaffold according to the theory of hierarchical temporal memory (HTM).
• To completely fill out the APOQ Learners Guide.
• To suggest strategies for classroom implementation.
Read some of our many references to learn more about the APOQ workshop.
Questioning is the key to higher order thinking skills and increasing student engagement. Many teachers need a better understanding of how to plan a good, scaffolded sequence of questions and how to engage all participants in the conversation. The APOQ workshop involves participants in exercises from which they learn the key principles and methods of effective questioning.
Workshop Training Manual
But, at such young ages, do we have anywhere near enough experience in life to directly support those firmly-held ideas?
As children and adolescents and then adults, we are taught to believe in things, such as school, city, team, profession, party, lifestyle.
What does it say about our teaching of history or civics, if the end result is so few people voting of those able to vote?
How should schools change due to artificial intelligence being so prominent in the near future?